To affect a single thing requires Individual but it cannot easily affect the area immediately around a thing. A new target Sphere represents the area surrounding a point, creature, or object; based upon the standard size for each form, then increasing with each added magnitude.
Target: Sphere (+1) The spell affects up to or including an area immediately surrounding an object or point. The sphere may define an edge or boundary where the magic takes place, or affect a material within its boundary. Typical range for most sphere spells is Touch. A moving sphere adds one magnitude.
Base size varies with Form, limited as:
- Animal / Corpus – a sphere with a diameter as wide as the creature can reach and step at full extension in all directions. Estimated a sphere with a diameter a pace wider than the arm span of a man. Magnitude increases the sphere diameter by two paces.
- Aquam / Auram / Terram – equal to sphere with the standard mass of Individual, perfectly shaped. There is no Finesse or difficulty check for creating the sphere as it is an intrinsic property of the target. Magnitude increases volume of material as normal.
- Herbam – a sphere with a diameter equal to the target plant at its greater of height or width, or a standard plant, including the root system. Magnitude increases volume by x10.
- Ignem – the distance which the light illuminates or the fire warms effectively as a diameter sphere.
- Imagonem – the area surrounding a point equal to three yards in diameter.
- Mentem / Vim – An area surrounding a point measured as Corpus above.
I can see Sphere being a minor breakthrough to create, and being handy for a range of specific uses, although not overly powerful. The ideas for use are for detection spells around the caster and wards. Other uses are likely possible, but these seem the most thematic.
Sphere of Awareness
Intellego Corpus 15, R: Touch, D: Diameter, T: Sphere
The target can sense other humans within a sphere equal to one pace immediately around them in all directions.
(Base 3 for general information, +1 Touch, +1 Diameter, +1 Sphere, +1 moving sphere)
All the new spells for Ars Magica can be found here.